Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Bruschetta

When I went to visit my parents in Ireland, my Mom was so excited to see us! She even made us a special welcome meal.  After flying all day, it was a nice surprise.  It had been over 3 months since we had seen my parents and they were not only missing their daughters, but also the comforts from home.  We brought a suitcase full of special items from home, including a video of my brothers and their cute families.  Well, after eating some of the food there, I wanted to fill the suitcase up and bring some home.  My Mom learned from one of her Irish friends how to make bruschetta.  I can't believe I had to fly all the way to Ireland to taste this for the first time.  Ireland has some of the best produce I have ever had.  The tomatoes were from Spain and were delicious!  I love this stuff so much, I have even made it with canned tomatoes in the winter.  It isn't as good, but it still hits the spot.  My sister and I have ordered this at many restaurants around Salt Lake City, but she always tells me that mine is her favorite.  Well, I found some delicious tomatoes at the store the other day and made a batch.  You can really use any tomato you like.  I try to stick with heirloom, on the vine or roma.  They tend to have the best flavors, at least in my mouth!  If I have lots of time, I will seed the tomatoes.  If not, I just cut up everything and throw it in the bowl.  It really just depends on how much juice you really want.  Needless to say, there were no leftovers!



Bruschetta
4-6 Roma Tomatoes, finely diced
2 Garlic Cloves, minced or pressed
6-8 Basil Leaves, julienned
Salt & Pepper to Taste
1 tsp Oil Olive
Balsamic Vinegar for drizzling
1 Baguette, sliced and toasted

Mix all items in bowl, except the vinegar and bread.  Set aside for 30-60 minutes for flavors to combine.  Serve over the toasted bread and drizzle with balsamic vinegar. 

No comments:

Post a Comment