Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Scalloped Potatoes

One of the few meats I can get my sister to eat, is ham.  Well, you can't have ham without scalloped potatoes, at least at my house!   They were a staple on many holidays while growing up.  They have become one of my favorite side dishes.  I researched lots of recipes and tried many, only to be disappointed.  They either were too much like the funeral potatoes Utah is famous for or had way too much cream in them.  Don't get me wrong, I love cream, but not the calories that come with it.  I decided to try evaporated milk instead of cream.  It was really good, however, I found fat free evaporated milk and decided to try that instead.  I couldn't even tell the difference.  The dish was still very creamy and delicious!   Also, I only use sharp cheddar cheese.  As my sister says, "If you can't taste it, why eat it!"   If I have the time, I will use my mandolin and slice the potatoes.  I bought my mandolin at Crate and Barrel.  I love it because it is so small and fits easily into my dishwasher.  I used to use my food processor, but that thing is big and causes way too many dishes!  If you don't have time, you can use the already sliced potatoes you can purchase at the grocery store.




Scalloped Potatoes

4 Small White Potatoes, washed and sliced very thinly
1 Small Onion, diced (can be omitted if you don't like onions)
1 can Fat Free Evaporated Milk
1/2-1 C Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded
2 Tb Parsley
Panko Bread Crumbs
Oil Olive or Butter Spray
Salt & Pepper

Wash and slice potatoes with mandolin.  Spray baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.  Put one layer of potatoes on bottom, layer onions, 1 layer of cheese, 1/2 can of milk, then salt and pepper.  Repeat layer of potatoes, then pour remaining milk over potatoes.  Salt and pepper top and sprinkle with remaining cheese.  Sprinkle with desired amount of bread crumbs and parsley.  Either spray top with butter spray or drizzle a little olive oil on top to create a crunchy, cheesy top.  Cover with foil and cook on 350 for 45 minutes. Remove foil and return to oven for an additional 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment