Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Spaghetti Sauce

Almost every summer growing up, I would help my Mom can tomatoes.  It was so much work, but so worth it in the end.  With those canned tomatoes, my Mom would always make the best homemade spaghetti sauce.  When I finally moved out of the house, I realized that I didn't really care for the spaghetti sauce I was buying at the grocery store.  I tried all of the different brands, but none of them really were my favorite. Don't get me wrong, I do have some of these in my food storage and have used them on long days when I don't want to make the good stuff.  But, I prefer to make my own sauce.  I don't have the time to do my own canning these days, so I buy canned tomatoes at the grocery store and let the sauce simmer for about 30-60 minutes to make the flavors better.  If I am not using homemade meatballs, I will brown ground turkey with a diced onion before making the sauce.  This is also the sauce that I use for my homemade lasagna.



Spaghetti Sauce
1 can diced tomatoes
2 cans tomato sauce (I use the small cans.  Can use 1 large can.)
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 Tb oregano
1 Tb Thyme
1 Tb Basil
2 Tb Parsley
1 Bay Leaf
1-2 garlic cloves, minced
Salt & Pepper to taste

Add all ingredients into saucepan.  Simmer on low for 30-60 minutes.  Remove bay leaf before serving.  Pour over noodles and garnish with Parmesan cheese.





No comments:

Post a Comment